[OpenAFS] Problems with OpenAFS 1.3.79 and Kernel 2.11.5

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:08:49 +0200

* Bj=F6rn Ruberg [2005-04-25 15:25:13 +0200]:
> Thanks for all your help, it seems as if all the problems have been solve=
d.

Good for you.
=20
> I removed the preemtable-stuff out of the kernel (thanks for the tip, Jas=
on)=20
> and compiled openafs 1.3.81.
> I solved the problem of the missing library by doing some symlinking, so =
I was=20
> able to use the new version.
> AFS doesn't break shutdown anymore and I noticed no more lockups (I hadn'=
t=20
> time to make extensiv tests)
> It seems as if everything is working now.

In reaction to your original query I tried 1.3.81 on my Gentoo installation
at home (amd64, gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6 which corresponds to kernel.org
2.6.11.6, no SMP, no CONFIG_PREEMPT) and got reproducible kernel oopses
when mounting /afs . Apparently a null pointer reference while acquiring
afs_global_lock in afs_linux_open(). The fault was at default_wait_function=
+0,
if memory serves. Could also have been in lock_kernel(), except I got the
impression that lock_kernel() is a no-op on uniprocessor builds.

Has this been seen by others? Perhaps even fixed already?