[OpenAFS] issues on windows client

Alex Jelinek pillager@gmail.com
Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:38:04 -0700

--------------070803010604060706040804

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

>Alex Jelinek wrote:
>

>>Strange behavior on multiple versions of windows AFS client...
>>This specific Win XP machine has had three versions (77, 81, 84) of win
>>OpenAFS client at different times using standard cellservdb for our site
>>Regardless of version, the following issues appear:
>>
>>1. afs starts at boot when asked not to (we unchecked "obtain tokens on
>>logon" checkbox in GUI, then some reg keys that control this). No fix yet.
>>

>The obtain tokens on logon checkbox controls whether tokens are
>obtained.  It does not control whether or not the AFS Service must be
>started.
>
>If you do not want AFS to start, you must disable the service in
>the service control panel

I don't understand how you can obtain tokens if the service is not
started.  By service control panel you mean Windows Services in Computer
Management, yes?

>>2. afs logon panel and/or GUI do not appear:
>>   a. start --> programs --> openafs  --> authentication
>>       gui never shows regardless how many times you do this or how long
>>you wait
>>       Task Manager does not show the gui as separate process so no idea
>>if it's trying to run
>>

>the process is called afscreds.exe.  Be sure that you are actually
>starting it.

Yes, afscreds.exe is running at this point but still cannot get logon
GUI via either method.

>>   b. system tray --> right click the AFS icon
>>       as mouse approaches the icon it "jumps" to center of screen so
>>you can never right click it
>>

>The system tray icon is afscreds.exe.  You can only start one instance
>of it.  Therefore, if you have already started it, then starting
>subsequent copies of it will do nothing.
>

>>       However, via VNC the VNC user can right click the icon & gets gui
>>for the user when doing so
>>

>I have not seen this behavior on any system.  Can you please describe
>your XP system?

These systems are standard XP Pro SP2 with all latest MSFT
fixes/patches.  Various software/firmware tools are installed.
Otherwise I don't know what else to describe.

-aj

--------------070803010604060706040804

begin:vcard
fn:Alexander J. Jelinek
n:Jelinek;Alexander
org:IBM
adr:mail drop 1H/28-1;;5600 Cottle Rd, Bldg 028;San Jose;CA;95193-0001;USA
email;internet:pillager@gmail.com
title:MCAD/MCAE/PLM Software Engineer
tel;work:(408) 717-5310
tel;fax:(408) 717-9160
tel;cell:(408) 821-1362
note;quoted-printable:Personal Mail:=0D=0A=
	475 White Chapel Ave=0D=0A=
	San Jose, CA 95136-3725
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://sofkor.com