[OpenAFS] salvage removed .6M files!

rader@ginseng.hep.wisc.edu rader@ginseng.hep.wisc.edu
Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:18:13 -0500

 >> From: rader
 >> One of our servers (Solaris7 inode fileserver running 1.2.11) lost
 >> power this morning and the resulting bos salvage on a large (50 GB)
 >> volume removed about 600,000 files....  /usr/afs/logs/SalvageLog
 >> reads, for example...

 > From: Mike Polek
 >    Did you do an fsck on the hard drive (or whatever the
 > SUN equivalent is these days)?

Yes, OpenAFS's special inode fileserver fsck ran cleanly.

I'm fairly confident the underlying file system isn't at fault:
the file system houses 18 volumes, but only one of them lost files.
(Also, except for the damage from the errant salvage, it's been
perfectly stable.)

steve
- - -
systems & network manager