[OpenAFS] restoring volumes

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 19:58:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Ron Croonenberg wrote:

> I dumped a volume on an old afs server and try to restore it on the
> new server. This is what I see:
>
> [root@afs-1 vicepb]# vos restore -server afs-1.csc.depauw.edu
> -partition /vicepa -name homestaff.cowboy.backup -file
> /vicepb/homestaff.cowboy.backup -cell afs-1.csc.depauw.edu
>
> vos: the name of the volume homestaff.cowboy.backup exceeds the size
> limit

The name of your volume is to long. The maximum is 22 chars, yours has
23.

It seems you try to restore a volume as a backup-volume. I do not think
that this is possible, because every backup-clone needs a rw-parent.

If you do not want that users change the restored volume, you can
restore it as a ro-volume. (vos restore ... -readonly)

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemmnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204