[OpenAFS] AFS client installation on Motorolla MVME6100 PowerPC

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:19:24 +0200

On Aug 10, 2005, at 2:32 PM, Konstantin Boyanov wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have installed the AFS client from the source on a MVME6100 Power
> PC, but I can get it working yet.
> When I type  /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs start I get the following error
> message:
>
> Failed to load AFS client, not starting AFS services.

This message sounds a lot like your kernel module is not loaded
correctly.
I actually never looked at the current start scripts since I always
have my own.

The trivial solution to this is you do a "lsmod" to check if the
kernel module is there.

> What could be the reason for this? Here are the steps through I went:
>
> # ./configure --with-afs-sysname=ppc_linux24 --enable-transarc-paths
> # make
> # make dest
>
> I copied the entire /motload directory, which appeared after the
> build in /usr/src/openafs-1.2.8/ppc_linux24/dest/root.client/usr/
> vice/etc, AND the asfd file to /usr/vice/etc, and the afs.rc file
> to /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs
>
> # cp -rp /usr/src/openafs-1.2.8/ppc_linux24/dest/root.client/usr/
> vice/etc/motload /usr/vice/etc
> # cp -p /usr/src/openafs-1.2.8/ppc_linux24/dest/root.client/usr/
> vice/etc/afs.rc /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs
> # cp -p /usr/src/openafs-1.2.8/ppc_linux24/dest/root.client/usr/
> vice/etc/afsd /usr/vice/etc
>
> According to the Manual from openafs.org, that should do to start
> the AFS client whit the command.
>
> # /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs start
>
> But it didn't. So can someone give me some ideas what I did wrong
> (or what I didn't do at all), or maybe how to get more detailed
> information about the errors ocurring?

Here's what I would do first to debug.
You locate the kernel module which should be in src/libafs/
MODLOAD<xxx> (it should be called libafs<something>). Then after a
reboot you load it by hand, calling "insmod <module file name>", now
you start the afs daemon by starting src/afsd/afsd and maybe you want
to use -debug -verbose parameters, so you'll be able to see what's
happening during initialization of afs.

That should give you a running client.
Of course you need a working network, an afs cell and a proper
configuration of your client (CellServDB, ThisCell, cacheconfig and
some servers :-) )

Horst