[OpenAFS] OpenAFS in a production environment

Turbo Fredriksson turbo@bayour.com
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:27:51 +0200

Quoting Mike Polek <mike@pictage.com>:

> At the risk of repeating Lester... backups are ... interesting.

He! I second that. I also wrote my own backup system, since
I have mixed ext3 and AFS filesystems on the server. I wanted
to back all that up in one go/one tape and since the AFS space
isn't even MOUNTED on the server(s), I had to dump the AFS
volumes into the filesystem and then put those dumps onto tape...

My script can be found at http://bayour.com/scripts/backup_afs.sh
if anyone's interested.

>    To answer your question about "is it only the people who have
> problems that we hear from"... I think the answer is mostly
> "yes"... I'm pretty quiet on the list when things are running
> smoothly, and we've been using AFS for about 3 years now with
> few problems.

Second that to. Although it's not as fast as native filesystem
(doh, quite naturally :), I'm quite happy with having my
homedir in AFS space...

This is something that is NOT recomended, but as said, I'm quite
happy with it - I get my homedir at home as well on my shellserver
(which is close the AFS servers - a couple of miles from my
home).