[OpenAFS] OpenAFS in a production environment

Lester Barrows barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:20:40 -0700

Hi Jeffrey,

Our issue most likely has something to do with our servers being multi-homed
with both a routable and non-routable IP, the non-routable instance behind a
NAT. Explorer tended to freeze pretty often, especially when attempting to
open inaccessable directories. Logins were much slower with OpenAFS installed
as well, adding as much as a two minute pause. I'm pretty sure I saw a
message from you a while ago stating that the functionality for dealing with
the former issue wasn't yet in the Windows client. As it seemed to be a known
issue at the time, I didn't pursue it further.

We mostly use Linux and a bit on Solaris with OpenAFS, so as I mentioned it
isn't really critical for our purposes. If you want bug reports though, I can
put together a Windows test system. Our network is probably a bit of a
torture test (minefield really) for the client.

Regards,
Lester Barrows