[OpenAFS] semblance of read/write volume duplicate?

Jason Mccabe Jason.McCabe@mci.com
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:43:55 -0400

Hi.

I know there's only supposed to be one read/write volume
and multiple read-only volumes, and that one of the premises
of AFS is to replicate data that does not change very often
into those read-only volumes.

What if one really needs read/write volume redundancy?  Say
I've got two servers in different parts of the country, and
I want them both to be fully operational duplicates.. home
directories, other read/write volumes, etc.  I'm considering
setting up duplicate read/write volumes that keep themselves
synched outside of AFS.

  eg.  /afs/my.zone/place1/writeme
       /afs/my.zone/place2/writeme

       /afs/my.zone/place1/user/joeuser
       /afs/my.zone/place2/user/joeuser

My PASSWD file on the server in place1 would look like this:

jmccabe:x:100:100:jason.mccabe:/afs/my.zone/place1/user/jmccabe:/usr/bin/bas

Similarly, in place2:

jmccabe:x:100:100:jason.mccabe:/afs/my.zone/place2/user/jmccabe:/usr/bin/bas

Do any of you folks attempt to contrive read/write volume
redundancy on top of AFS?  What are you thoughts on this?

Jason