[OpenAFS] 1.3.87 Windows token icon

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:14:27 -0700

Thanks, the Debug version was installed and I'll install the other s/w
today.

The problem doesn't seem as common with the Debug version of 1.3.87.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Jeffrey Altman
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:03 AM
To: ted creedon
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] 1.3.87 Windows token icon

ted creedon wrote:
> Over several days, there has been one instance of the token icon (the
> padlock) ceasing to work under 1.3.87 Debug version.
>
> Restarting the client didn't work but a reboot did.
>
> Can I have specific instructions on what to do if this happens again?
>
> Thanks.
>
> tedc

Ted:

Don't stop the client.
Don't reboot the machine.
Get me a stack trace or a minidump of the afscreds.exe process.

Obtaining a stack trace or a minidump requires the use of a debugger.
There is a free debugger available from Microsoft called "Debugging Tools
for Windows".

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

With this package installed and the OpenAFS Symbols files (which are
installed by default with the debug version but not with the non-debug
version), you can also obtain a stack trace with the Sysinternals Process
Explorer tool.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Once you have a stack track trace or a mini dump.  Send it to
openafs-bugs@openafs.org.   You can send me e-mail to let me
know that it is there if you would like.

To view the current stack of a process/thread in Process Explorer you double
click the process name, afscreds.exe, and then view stack while selecting an
individual thread.

In the debugger, you would attach the debugger to the process and then view
the stack by pausing the process and then selecting one thread at a time and
switching to the the call stack window.

I suspect that if you killed afscreds.exe and restarted it from the Startup
menu that it would work.  If this does not solve the problem, I would be
interested in knowing if the command line "tokens.exe" application responds
promptly or not.

Jeffrey Altman