[OpenAFS] Reproducible kernel panic on MacOS x 10.3.9 with 1.3.81

Samuel L. Bayer sam@mitre.org
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:52:12 -0400

> From: Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
> To: openafs-info@openafs.org
> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Reproducible kernel panic on MacOS x 10.3.9 with 1.3.81
>
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Samuel L. Bayer wrote:
>

>>The kernel panic is clearly in the afs extension, according to the PC counter
>>in the panic log and the kextstat command. The kernel panic I get is
>>
>>panic(cpu 0): unmount: dangling vnode
>

> This one's known but I'd been unable to figure out what was going on. I
> assume this happens when you're otherwise rebooting?

Rebooting or shutting down. Before 1.3.81, I would occasionally get
kernel panics at runtime, but no longer; on the other hand,  I don't
leave my machine up long enough to necessarily reach that point. I
reboot because AFS starts behaving strangely; I'll get contents of files
that are incorrect, etc. I've used afs flushvolume at least once to fix
that, but I don't know whether it's a consistent fix. In some cases,
I've know that AFS had confused my machine because I'd get a bus error
running gcc; I wish I recalled whether it happened only when compiling
from source files in AFS space, or whether it was any invocation of gcc.
That part isn't particularly reproducible, and I haven't until recently
gotten fed up enough to commit myself to really tracking this problem down.

Sam Bayer