[OpenAFS] Large volumes -- anyone using?

Lester Barrows barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:46:03 -0700

Hi Kim,

We've had volumes as large as 300gb in the past during phases of rapid data
collection. While they work for accessing data, vos operations tend to time
out on excessively large (somewhere above 100gb IIRC) volumes. Backups can
become problematic past this point, and performance seems to take a hit as
well.

I try to keep volumes under 20gb these days, and prefer to keep them under 2gb
if possible. The largest volume we currently have online is about 60gb. We
don't have a problem backing it up, although I'd probably copy the data to a
new volume rather than attempting a "vos move" on it if I had to take the
partition offline.

Regards,
Lester Barrows