[OpenAFS] Debian - openafs -noauth problems

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan@gmail.com
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:45:02 -0400

Thanks for all the help. Ran afs-newcell, got tokens as the admin, and ran
afs-rootvol and the whole process seems to have concluded successfully.
Thanks for the very helpful scripts. I will be studying the logs to see how
this process differed from my prior attempt.

Your excellent README then suggests that the AFS admin guide be consulted. I
looked at :

http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/InstallingtheFirstAFSMachine#Storing_AFS_Binaries_in_AFS

which suggests that AFS related binaries be stored in the AFS filespace under
its own volume (sysname = i486_linux24 for me). Now, under Debian, the AFS
binaries are dumped into /usr/bin, indistinct from other system binaries. So,
what is the recommended policy for Debian ?

Second question :

In a previous incarnation, this server was a simple Linux server where a bunch
of users had some files stored in /home/username. Prior to my setting up the
OpenAFS server, I had backed these up to another server (not running OpenAFS)
under /backup/username. I was wondering if there is a certain method to be
followed in restoring these for use. Right now, I can see the following
steps :

1. Create a user group under pts.
2. Add all the users to the user group.
3. Unknown.

PS : How does one set quotas for the users ?

Thanks.