[OpenAFS] running vos from "another" machine

Dexter 'Kim' Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:09:44 -0600

Ron,

"vos" per se doesn't require the /usr/afs/etc directory

OTOH "vos" with "-localauth" _does_ require the up-to-date
/usr/afs/etc/KeyFile

"-localauth" essentially means "I'm root on this here machine that has a
KeyFile so create some AFS admin credentials for me." =20

Without the KeyFile "vos ... -localauth" simply can't create the
token/ticket you require.

If you sftp /usr/afs/etc/KeyFile from one of your AFS servers to the
client-only box from  which you're running vos you'll be up and running =
with
"vos .... -localauth"

When you change keys remember to update the KeyFile on your admin =
client.

Putting the KeyFile on a client isn't a good idea unless the machine in
question is secure/limited access, which yours is.

Kim