[OpenAFS] Re: [Slightly OT] changing UID of a user to 1 ["readonly mountpoint"]

Dexter 'Kim' Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:06:51 -0600

The "readonly mountpoint" nomenclature is widely used to mean "#" =
(regular)
mountpoint but is inaccurate.

A read-only mountpoint is created with "fs mkmount <dir> =
volname.readonly"
and results in a regular (#) mountpoint and takes you to a readonly =
volume

A _regular_ mountpoint is created with  "fs mkmount <dir> volname" and
results in a mountpoint with # but takes you to a readwrite volume or a
readonly volume depending on the cache manager's "Volume Traversal =
Rules."

The Volume Traversal Rules are applied at each mount point the AFS =
client
encounters:

1. At a regular (#) mountpoint, if ".readonly" is used in the named =
volume
go to a .readonly instance of the volume.  If none exists, fail.
2. At a regular (#) mountpoint, if ".backup" is used in the named volume =
go
to the .backup instance of the volume.  If none exists, fail.
3. At a regular (#) mountpoint:
	a. If currently in a readonly volume and the VLDB indicates that a
readonly instance exists for the volume named in the mount point, go to =
readonly instance or fail.
      b. If currently in a readwrite volume go to the readwrite instance =
of
the volume named in the  mount point, or fail.  Replicas and .backup =
volumes
are ignored.
3. At a readwrite (%) mountpoint, go to the readwrite instance of the =
volume
named in the mount point, or fail.  Replicas and .backup volumes are
ignored.

Kim

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Kim (Dexter) Kimball