[OpenAFS] 1.4.1-rc2 build question

Terry McCoy terry@nd.edu
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:26:47 -0500 (EST)

Wondering if it would be possible to build 1.4.1 Release Candidate 2
without support on the server side for Windows byte range locking?

Why would you want to do this?

It appears that various non Windows locking related issues are getting
addressed within 1.4.1 such as:

  - A bug in callback handling for readonly volumes in the Unix clients
    has been fixed.
  - MacOS 10.3 support has been updated.
  - Several MacOS 10.4 issues have been addressed.
  - A memory leak in Rx has been corrected.
  - A lock leak in Rx has been corrected.

But it is not clear (at least to me) if they are being inserted into the
1.4.0 tree.  Perhaps they are and I am just not up to speed on using the
source repository.

Anyway from the looks of it there is no way I would envision quickly migrating
my cell to a code based that supports Windows byte range locking.  Our cell
is very large with +7,000 users, +25 million files and 6TB of storage being
used.  Hence the significant educational effort and possible changes to the
Windows users experience with issues of being unable to access files that
were previously accessible will be a major obstacle in moving forward at
large sites.

Please note that, I do support moving forward and adding features such as
locking and data encryption into the file system.  But adoption of these
features should be blance with how existing site will be able to migrate
to use them.

|  Terry McCoy                                  email:  terry@nd.edu          |
|  Sr Systems Engineer                          phone:  (574) 631-4274        |
|  Office of Information Technologies                                         |
|  315 Information Technology Center                                          |
|  University of Notre Dame                                                   |
|  Notre Dame, Indiana  46556                                                 |
|  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);' |