[OpenAFS] 1.4.1-rc2 build question

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:35:48 -0600

Would it be worth considering having byte range lock support in the
code, but enabled with a flag or option of some sort so that code could
be staged in without fully implementing it?

i.e. similar to fs setcrypt?

I don't know if the impact described below is legitimate or not, but
having it in the code but optional is at least a more gradual step-in to
the support.=20

Does the new byte range support change it from:

	Ignore request, pretend it was granted, don't do any lock
	Grant request based on client side decision, with read or write
lock on server

In that case, a lot more read locks would suddenly be getting obtained
by those clients on the server than were getting obtained previously.
Not that this should be a problem, but it might expose other locking
issues elsewhere that would cause hesitancy in adoption of 1.4.1 as a
whole if the feature were forcibly on.

I'm not referring so much to the locks on the client that wants byte
range locks, but on the person who doesn't care, and suddenly can't get
a lock on the file at all because someone else has a lock on it. (Not
that this is a good thing, but it's a noticable change in behavior.)

-- Nathan

University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-6679
UMR Information Technology             Fax: (573) 341-4216
=20