[OpenAFS] 1.4.1-rc2 build question

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:58:07 -0600

> If I provide a way to turn it off, how will you ensure that it gets
> turned back on in the future?

The same way we did ntp, rsh, setcrypt, etc. (Well, not exactly, but
close.)

Have it compiled in the code, but defaulting to off, let sites choose to
enable it.

> The benefits of locking will only be ensured when all of the users
> accessing a file are using clients that enforce the locks.  The longer
> we wait, the longer and harder it will be to make the transition.

I'm not meaning wait till 1.5, but at least let's get it out and
available for trying out in a production openafs release for a period of
time before forcibly turning it on.

That way people can update the client and try it when able, and then
when ready to switch it on fully, they can. A few minor releases later,
default it to on, but let them turn it off. A few more minor releases
(or next major release) - remove ability to turn it off.

-- Nathan

University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-6679
UMR Information Technology             Fax: (573) 341-4216