[OpenAFS] 1.4.1-rc2 Mac File Oddities

Mike Bydalek mbydalek@contentconnections.com
Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:38:05 -0700

Hi,

My current setup is the following:

Server, Linux & Windows Client - OpenAFS 1.4.0
Mac OS X 10.4.3 - OpenAFS 1.4.1-rc2

Everything is working perfectly between the server and the Linux and
Windows clients.  The problem comes in with the Mac client.  Basically,
it looks like it's having issues updating the cache when a Linux or
Windows client modifies a file.  What's even weirder is that it works
for some filetypes, but not others (ie. if I use Word and OpenOffice,
the Mac sees the changes, but if I do a plaintext, the changes aren't
noticed).

My steps to reproduce are the following with Linux (Client A), Windows
(Client B) and OS X 10.4.3 (Client C):

-Create .doc file using OO2.0 with Client A and put in public /afs space.
-Open .doc file using Word for OS X with Client C and modify - then save.
-Open .doc file using Client A again, and changes are noticed.
(Now the weird part)
-Open that same .doc with Word on Client B and make a change.
-Finder on Client C shows the file now with a blank icon.  If you try
and click on it, the file disappears.
-Opening the file on Client A works as expected.

So there is some odd thing that Windows does when saving the file that
causes the Mac to freak out and ignore the file completely.

Now, if you change the .doc file to say a plaintext .txt file, the Mac
only recognizes one iteration of the file done by a different client.
So, for example:

-Touch a file.txt on the Mac
-Modify with Linux
-Open on the Mac the changes are seen.  Modify the file.
-Open on the Linux, the changes are seen. Modify the file.
-Open on the Mac and only the last set of changes were seen.  Modify the
file and it disppears using "ls -al", but not using "ls".

What I'm looking for here really is a way to debug this.  I'm not
getting any error messages (like I used to) or freezes, just odd behavior.

I compiled the Mac Client with the following:
./configure --enable-pam ---enable-largefile-fileserver
--with-krb5-conf=/usr/bin/krb5-config

Anyone else seeing this same behavior with the Mac client? Or, is it
maybe my server setup (not opposed to this since it is my first setup).

Thanks,
Mike