[OpenAFS] AFS vs large apache sites

Darek Dariusz Mach <darek@prointer.pl>
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 14:05:58 +0100

------------903413C2C9EA280

Hello!

Please send me some comments, if openAFS is usable to mass vhost cluster. I'm designing cluster for 1500 different websites with high availibility. I can use either some dedicated storage arrays, or DFS. The last one seems to be very interesting. But - can I predict any problems on utilizing AFS rather then NFS? Any problems with apache + PHP via CGI expected (any file owner/security problems perhaps? ). And most important - can I expect some performance downgrade. If anybody has some experience in this matter, I woulg gladly hear Your opinion.

--
Best regards,
 Darek

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<STYLE type="text/css"><!--
BODY {
  margin: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
  background-color: #FFFFFF;
}
/*----------Text Styles----------*/
HR { color: #000000}
BODY, TABLE /* Normal text */
{
 font-size: 9pt;
 font-family: 'Courier New';
 font-style: normal;
 font-weight: normal;
 color: #000000;
 text-decoration: none;
}
SPAN.RVTS1 /* Heading */
{
 font-size: 10pt;
 font-family: 'Arial';
 font-weight: bold;
 color: #0000FF;
}
SPAN.RVTS2 /* Subheading */
{
 font-size: 10pt;
 font-family: 'Arial';
 font-weight: bold;
 color: #000080;
}
SPAN.RVTS3 /* Keywords */
{
 font-size: 10pt;
 font-family: 'Arial';
 font-style: italic;
 color: #800000;
}
A.RVTS4, SPAN.RVTS4 /* Jump 1 */
{
 font-size: 10pt;
 font-family: 'Arial';
 color: #008000;
 text-decoration: underline;
}
A.RVTS5, SPAN.RVTS5 /* Jump 2 */
{
 font-size: 10pt;
 font-family: 'Arial';
 color: #008000;
 text-decoration: underline;
}
SPAN.RVTS6
{
 font-size: 8pt;
 font-family: 'arial';
 font-style: italic;
 color: #C0C0C0;
}
A.RVTS7, SPAN.RVTS7
{
 font-size: 8pt;
 font-family: 'arial';
 color: #0000FF;
 text-decoration: underline;
}
/*----------Para Styles----------*/
P,UL,OL /* Paragraph Style */
{
 text-align: left;
 text-indent: 0px;
 padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
 margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}
.RVPS1 /* Centered */
{
 text-align: center;
 white-space: normal;
}

--></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P>Hello!</P>
<P><BR></P>
<P>Please send me some comments, if openAFS is usable to mass vhost cluster. I'm designing cluster for 1500 different websites with high availibility. I can use either some dedicated storage arrays, or DFS. The last one seems to be very interesting. But - can I predict any problems on utilizing AFS rather then NFS? Any problems with apache + PHP via CGI expected (any file owner/security problems perhaps? ). And most important - can I expect some performance downgrade. If anybody has some experience in this matter, I woulg gladly hear Your opinion.</P>
<P><BR></P>
<P><SPAN class=RVTS6>--&nbsp;</SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=RVTS6>Best&nbsp;regards,</SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=RVTS6>&nbsp;Darek&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</SPAN></P>

</BODY></HTML>
------------903413C2C9EA280--