[OpenAFS] Re: "OpenAFS for Windows development road map" was Re: [OpenAFS] 1.4.1-rc2 build question

Matthew Cocker matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:04:05 +1300

Jeffrey

Unfortunately in an MS environment where the users have been trained to
work with a windows fileserver and everything is done via shared
excel/word/access documents, persistent file corruption results if I
move their home directories to AFS at the moment, which means recovery
from tape.

That said I would prefer that byte-range locking not be mandatory but be
selectable in the installer, with appropriate warnings so local admins
can make the decision for their AFS cell (I would enable it but others
might not).

Eventually I would like to see a Active Directory Group Policy template
for the AFS client developed (I have asked one of our windows developers
to look at this but I never did hear anything back from him) to allow
easily control of a large number of clients in a smart way.

Cheers

Matt