[OpenAFS] AFS startup script and wireless laptops (OS-X)

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 13:35:03 -0500

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:54:19AM -0500, Richard Brittain wrote:
>   I've just started using AFS on a Mac laptop with wireless network and
> noticed a problem with the startup script, which never occurred on
> machines with wired ethernet.   It seems that although the network
> initialization script has already been called before AFS gets started, the
> network startup is proceeding in background and 9 times out of 10, when
> wireless is in use, it hasn't finished setting up when the AFS rc script
> calls "CheckForNetwork".  As distributed, the script immediately exits if
> the network isn't up
>  (if [ "${NETWORKUP}" = "-NO-" ]; then exit; fi)

I've run into this as well.

Is there a good reason we shouldn't change the default configuration
to freelance mode?  That would (i think) mean that the rc script wouldn't
have to check for the network at all.

danno