[OpenAFS] Problem configuring OpenAFS

kjellg@speech.kth.se kjellg@speech.kth.se
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:16:05 +0100

Hi,

I recently sent a request to the bug report mail address for open AFS whose main
message was as follows:

"I have firewall and things from ZoneAlarm, so maybe that's
got something to do with it, or maybe not - I don't know. I've sent a similar
mail to their support.

I have downloaded the latest release of AFS Client for Windows 2000. I am unable
to configure it.
I want to access the cell md.kth.se to which I belong. When I try starting the
client I get the error
message:
"The AFS Client Service could not be started successfully. You might not have
authorization to perform this operation.

Error 0x0000042A."

I got the following reply:

 ">

> This is not a bug report.   The problem place to discuss user
> configuration issues is on the openafs-info@openafs.org mailing list.
> Please redirect your query there.
>
> Hint: If you are being told that you do not have permission to start a
> Windows service, more than likely you do not have permission to do so.
>
> Make sure you are Administrator for the machine when you attempt to
> start it.
>
> Also, please read the Release Notes for OpenAFS and follow the debugging
> instructions.
>
> This ticket is resolved.
"

I do have administrator rights to my machine. I also received a reply from the
ZoneAlarm
people suggesting I disable my ZoneAlarm and try then. I did, and it didn't
help.

Can YOU please lead my steps toward a solution?

Thanks,
Kjell Gustafson