[OpenAFS] Upgrade plan - any gotchas?

Steve Gaarder gaarder1@math.cornell.edu
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:36:58 -0500 (EST)

Here's my plan for upgrading both OS and OpenAFS on my primary AFS server.
Please let me know if you see any potential problems, gotchas, etc.

These items I have already done:

1.  Set up a second VLDB and file server.  Change all the CellServDB files
to include both servers.  (Authentication is via Krb5; neither AFS server
is a KDC)

2.  Move all non-replicated volumes to the second server.  Have replicas
of the others on both servers.

Here is what I plan to do:

3.  Shut down the primary server.  I can do this during regular hours
because the secondary server will carry all the load.

4.  Install the new OS (RHEL 4) on a new partition.  Install OpenAFS 1.4.0
but don't start it.

5.  Copy /usr/afs/db, /usr/afs/etc/, and /usr/afs/local from the old
system partition to the new one. Mount /vicepa same as on the old system.

6.  Start up AFS and all should be well - or am I missing something?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA