[OpenAFS] Questions about OpenAFS "reality"

Glenn Bjorcken glenn@it.kth.se
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:08:27 +0100

Christof Hanke wrote:
> Leroy Tennison wrote:
>  ---snip---

>> What are people doing for printing, particularly Windows printing?
>>
> OpenAFS is nothing like "Samba" where you share printers and files alik=
e=20
> over the network. It's a filesystem. Printing has to be done separately=
.

Still it's a valid question, if you are migrating from samba to AFS you h=
ave
to replace samba with something else for printing (or continue to run sam=
ba
just for printing)

Here we use lprng for printing, it works fine in both *ix (linux+solaris)
and windows (2000/xp), windows supports this "out of the box", even if
you have to manually add "LPR printing" as a windows component.

--=20
        ___
       / __\ __                   |   UNIX System administrator at    |
   __ / /__ / /__ ____ ____ __    |   IT-university / KTH Kista       |
  (__/ /_ // / -_) _  ) _  )__)   |   Email   =AB=BB  Glenn@it.kth.se    =

     \___//_/\__/_//_/_//_/       |   Phone   =AB=BB  +46 8 790 4228     =

"Where the russian heart is strong, like the beating of a drum,
Where the magic lingers on and the fight for truth is won..
Deep in the European soul.."