[OpenAFS] Questions about OpenAFS "reality"

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:48:40 -0500

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 06:20:48AM -0600, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> A recent post stated that they had about 7000 users in a single cell,
> I'm wondering what a realistic maximum is (assume 'average' end user
> file activity - nothing extraordinary).  I saw in the archives a
> refernce to 45k and a statement that UMich had 100,000.  Are these
> (especially the 100,000 for UMich) confirmed numbers?  If anyone out

I'd be shocked if umich didn't have 100,000 user ids in their AFS cell.

they have I think 35,000 active students, all of whom get an AFS identity
& home directory, something like 10k or 15k staff & faculty, and god knows
how many years of crufty users who haven't been deleted.

How many are actually *active* users is another question.  I'm sure it's
a fraction of these people.  Maybe as many as 20,000 although that could
be way off.  I'd be shocked if it were fewer than 5,000.

> How stable and trouble free is the Windows client?  (I saw a statement
> that the Windows server was considered experimental and not being
> maintained).

The windows client has been under active development for the last year
and a half or so and has vastly improved.

> What about workstation customization (consistent look and feel from
> workstation to workstation, workstation restrictions, etc.)?  What are
> the alternatives there?

This is just a vague recollection, but I think you can do windows roaming
profiles with AFS as the file store.  You still need an AD or samba to
manage the windows information, though.

You can have AD backend to the same kerberos 5 database as afs uses.  I
think you can even use AD as AFS's kerberos 5 database.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile