[OpenAFS] a familiar problem compiling aklog?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:44:12 -0500

>Does Kerberos have to be installed for openAFS to compile?  Could you
>compile AFS and THEN compile Kerberos?
>Perhaps you could temporarily rename the offending Kerberos libraries so
>that they are not an option, just when you build those particular make
>targets that require com_err?

I suppose this is a matter of debate ... but IMHO, the "offending" libraries
are the AFS ones.

>Shouldn't linker configuration control which com_err library is found?

No.  This linking here happens at compile time, not run time (and I thought
that the AFS com_err library is static anyway).

>I could move the kerberos libraries to some directory at the end of the
>ld.so.conf list, at least temporarily, so that the afs ones get found
>first.

I think you're missing the problem here; your problem was COMPILING, not
linking, and it was really a problem with the include files.  You could
probably massage the Makefile so the Kerberos include location is ahead
of the AFS one, and that might solve it.

--Ken