[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4.1-rc2 feedback

Terry McCoy terry@nd.edu
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:27:13 -0500 (EST)

>> I have sent openafs-bugs@openafs.org several reports with fileserver
>> core dumps.  I wish I could find out why it is dumping core so often.

>On what OS?

Solaris 8

>I just compiled 1.4.1-rc2 (--enable-debug-lwp, as per recomendation) on
>Solaris 10 yesterday and I intend to install it on one of my servers
>today and see if the random bosserver crashes (in 1.4.0) stop.  I was
>told the problem is likely something to do with LWP.

Let me know if you get your fileserver process to run more that 24 hours
without it dumping core.

Here are the configure options I compiled with

    --enable-bos-new-config
    --enable-largefile-fileserver
    --enable-supergroups
    --enable-fast-restart
    --enable-bitmap-later
    --enable-transarc-paths
    --with-krb5-conf=/home/tmmccoy/Kerberos/krb5_1.4.2/krb5/bin/krb5-config

    --enable-debug-lwp   (currently grinding away recompiling)

Any other recommendations?

>> Also anyone know the purpose of -abortthreshold? in the fileserver

>Asking a whole bunch of times won't get you answers.  I'd suggest simply
>looking through the code to see what it does or simply wait longer for
>an answer.  You could also try it out and see what happens.

I would reply that I am trying out, not running with the option specified.
And perhaps without specifying the option could be the source of the core
dumps.

Perhaps waiting for the stable 1.4.1 code release and the corresponding
Announcement README and documentation update maybe be the only recourse.
But I am more than willing to test it now, but I would like a clue as to
its purpose.

|  Terry McCoy                                  email:  terry@nd.edu          |
|  Sr Systems Engineer                          phone:  (574) 631-4274        |
|  Office of Information Technologies                                         |
|  315 Information Technology Center                                          |
|  University of Notre Dame                                                   |
|  Notre Dame, Indiana  46556                                                 |
|  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);' |