[OpenAFS] Users having problems getting into their home directories

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:23:20 -0800

Madhusudan Singh <singh.madhusudan@gmail.com> writes:

> I deployed an openafs server on Debian Linux about 4 months ago. It has
> a backup process defined under AFS that creates backups at 0100 hrs. It
> has been up ever since. However, starting this morning, users can no
> longer get into their volumes. I have rebooted and restarted
> openafs-client services, but to no avail.

> (msingh belongs to system.administrators)

> Last login: Thu Dec 15 15:51:43 2005 from x.y.z.w
> Could not chdir to home directory /afs/omega.domain.edu/user/msingh:
> Permission denied
> -bash: /afs/omega.domain.edu/user/msingh/.bash_profile: Permission denied
> msingh@omega:/$ id
> uid=58015(msingh) gid=501(bgroup) groups=501(bgroup)
> msingh@omega:/$ cd
> -bash: cd: /afs/omega.domain.edu/user/msingh: Permission denied

Does the user have any tokens?  Run the tokens command to see, and try
reauthenticating.

> (why are there two afsd processes running ?)

It depends on your system configuration.  AFS spreads the load between
multiple kernel threads.