[OpenAFS] Redhat server packages dependent on kernel modules

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:40:49 -0500

Quoting Matthew Cocker <matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz>:

> Hi
>
> I was asked today why the kernel module is required by the redhat
> openafs-server rpm. I couldn't come up with a reason as I thought only
> the client program would require it.
>
> What have I missed?

Well, you need the kernel module if you want tokens to work..  I don't
recall if you need the client running for tokens to work.

But...  I've removed the dependency for the next release.

> I'm asking because the rpmbuild of the redhat3 openafs 1.4 source rpms
> fails with the errors below. I seem to remember this is a redhat kernel
> problem but haven't found the solution in the archive yet. In this case
> we just down loaded the pre-built kenerl rpms from openafs.org, but we
> like to be able to build the rpms from spec file so we can if required
> add in local config files for local users.

What is the rpmbuild command you used, and what's the first 15-20 lines
of output from rpmbuild?

This looks like a bad kernel header file...

[snip]

-derek