[OpenAFS] RPM questions

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:19:38 -0500

Leroy Tennison <leroy_tennison@prodigy.net> writes:

> I have installed OpenAFS on Linux using the following:
>
> openafs-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386.rpm        I assume this is a 'base' rpm
> openafs-client-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386.rpm    I assume this is client functionality
> openafs-docs-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386.rpm        Documentation, not sure I even
> needed it
> openafs-kernel-1.4.0-2.6.9_1.667_1.i586.rpm        I assume its the
> kernel "connectivity"
>
> Am I correct in my assumptions?

Yes.

> Didn't use these, what are they for?
>
> openafs-compat-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386.rpm

Compatibility symlinks with Transarc/IBM AFS paths (/usr/afsws)

> openafs-kpasswd-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386.rpm

The KAserver kpasswd program

> openafs-krb5-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386.rpm

The Krb5 programs, aklog, asetkey, etc.

> Is there a rationale for supplying only Fedora/Red Hat on Linux?

Because that's all I have/care about, and nobody has asked me to
support anything else and provided me the resources to support
anything else.

> If I want to run OpenAFS on SuSE do I have to compile from source or can
> I use the Red Hat kernel version (assuming there is one) of OpenAFS
> corresponding to the SuSE kernel?

Unclear..  I've /tried/ to make the SPEC file general enough that
you could rebuild it on any RPM based system..  So you SHOULD be
able to rebuild the code on SuSE.  You DEFINITELY need to rebuild
the kernel module.  You MAY need to rebuild the user-space.

> Thanks.

-derek