[OpenAFS] AFS-Backup-Limits

Tracy Di Marco White gendalia@gmail.com
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:31:34 -0600

------=_Part_32713_8614911.1135629094769

On 12/26/05, Frank Burkhardt <fbo2@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> are there any known limits to OpenAFS' backup database? I'm most
> interested
> in:
>
>   * max number of volume sets
>   * max number of tapes
>   * max number of dumps

I think we were doing 60 full tapes a week, with the disk partitions sized
such that it was some number of integer multiple disk partitions per tape.
A minimum of 60 incremental tapes, as they could ask for additional tapes.
We kept tapes for a three week rotation, but occasionally would end up with
double that number in the database.  We have a 3 week rotation schedule,
with something under 60k volumes, and almost everything got backed up.  We
did one full tape per volume set.
We stopped using the AFS backup system two weeks ago.

-Tracy

------=_Part_32713_8614911.1135629094769

On 12/26/05, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Frank Burkhardt</b> &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:fbo2@gmx.net">fbo2@gmx.net</a>&gt; wrote:<div><span class=3D"gma=
il_quote"></span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1p=
x solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi,<br><br>are there any known limits to OpenAFS' backup database? I'm most=
&nbsp;* max number of tapes<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;* max number of dumps</blockquot=
e><div><br>
I think we were doing 60 full tapes a week, with the disk partitions
sized such that it was some number of integer multiple disk partitions
per tape.&nbsp; A minimum of 60 incremental tapes, as they could ask
for additional tapes. We kept tapes for a three week rotation, but
occasionally would end up with double that number in the
database.&nbsp; We have a 3 week rotation schedule, with something
under 60k volumes, and almost everything got backed up.&nbsp; We did
one full tape per volume set.<br>
We stopped using the AFS backup system two weeks ago.<br>
-Tracy<br>

------=_Part_32713_8614911.1135629094769--