[OpenAFS] OpenAFS with RAID

Paul Robins paul@paulrobins.alldaypa.com
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:13:16 +0000

> I think you have to abandon the "network RAID" idea.  You may be
> referring to SAN storage, in which case RAID is unnecessary.  You could
> use RAID 1 for mirroring your data disk, or RAID 5 to combine multiple
> disks into one file space, with a hot spare - very reliable and
> redundant..  But that is on a machine basis, not a group of machines.
Yeah, i'm aware of normal RAID usage and i've seen a basic RAID 5 done
with ENBD but i have no idea how reliable it was and i'd hate to set
things up like that.

> If you were to use RO volumes for EVERY volume on your system, you would
> have a administator nightmare.  It is recommended that only infrequently
> changed volumes be replicated.  Each time you change the volume data,
> you would need to 'vos release' that change to the RO volume(s).
Right, so if I was to set up AFS on a single server, how could I safely
replicate this to other machines? I think i'm probably getting confused
but i'd appreciate some sort of clarification. I don't expect it to
failover flawlessly, but i do require the ability to rapidly bring up
another machine to replace the primary.

Apologies if I haven't explained properly,
Paul