[OpenAFS] Failover

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:02:37 -0800

Stephan Wiesand <Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de> writes:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Derek Atkins wrote:

>> You don't want AFS for an imap or maildir backend.  You should just

> Since it's void of any locks, what would be wrong with maildir in AFS?

AFS is optimized for read (or pessimized for write, depending on which way
you want to think about it and how kind you want to be).  For mail
delivery, you want a system that can handle a high volume of writes, and
the AFS callback mechanism isn't ideal for this.

You can do it, but I doubt you'll be happy with the performance in the
long run, unless your needs are fairly limited.