[OpenAFS] Announce: January 2005 OpenAFS for Windows status report

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 06:36:48 -0800

Keep the copyrights current on the documentation and sources. Even look and
feel is protectable (Broderbund).

The concept of using volumes (especially disconnected)is unique. That
implies at least under the copyright law should MS rip yet another
innovative idea.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Jeffrey Altman
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 1:25 AM
To: ted creedon
Cc: 'OpenAFS Win32 Development List'; 'openafs'
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Announce: January 2005 OpenAFS for Windows status
report

ted creedon wrote:

> Is there any intellectual property being created? If so is it being
> protected?
>
> It appears that the proposed improvements are superior to Microsoft's
> filesystems.
>
> Tedc

Thank you.  We are trying hard to make AFS be a highly functional
distributed file system for all operating systems.  I do not believe that we
are producing any intellectual property which is intended to be patented.
We will be working within the IETF to standardize the functionality
necessary to implement RXGK.

The concept of multi-stream files have existed in a variety of forms
including the Macintosh Resource Fork, OS/2 Extended Attributes, and NTFS
streams.

The algorithms for performing normalized internationalized strings come from
the IETF and the Unicode Consortium.

Most of the other work is just implementing things which Microsoft has
published specs for or the Samba team has reverse engineered.  The hard work
is simply putting it all together.

Jeffrey Altman