[OpenAFS] releasing volumes automatically

Hans-Gunther Borrmann hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:23:39 +0100

On Thursday 10 February 2005 10:55, Marco Spatz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've set up an OpenAFS und a 4 machines cluster, and have made replicas
> of the user's home volumes. I know, that generally, this is a bad idea,
> but I want to use this as backup the user can access without my help
> (I've mounted the readonly volumes to another mountpoint).
> And now I want the AFS system to release this volumes at night, but I
> don't know how to this. Thought about writing a cronjob, but I don't
> know how do gain access as admin to get the rights to execute 'vos
> release'. Is there any possibility to tell OpenAFS to release certain (or
> all) changed volumes at a certain time? Would be a great help.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Marco

You can run a cron job on your AFS fileservers which takes a list of the
volumes to release and uses "vos release .... -localauth". Thats what I do.

Gunther
Hans-Gunther Borrmann <hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de>
Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Freiburg
Hermann-Herder-Str. 10, D79104 FREIBURG