[OpenAFS] quorum election

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:42:37 -0500

On Monday, February 14, 2005 02:01:28 PM -0500 "Derek T. Yarnell"
<derek@cs.umd.edu> wrote:

> Bah, it has fixed itself. It may have been me forceing time
> syncronization on all the afs db/fileservers.

Yes, that would do it.  Ubik is very sensitive to time differences between
dbservers; it needs the times to stay within a few seconds of each other.
And, a large time step on a server may cause it to think it is no longer
coordinator, and/or disrupt its ability to vote.  Depending on the nature
of the change, the disruption could last as long as 80 seconds plus the
amount of the time change.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer