[OpenAFS] backup solutions

Kurt A. Seiffert seiffert@exchange.iu.edu
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:21:16 -0500

We are considering creating a very large OpenAFS cell. We are looking to
replace our current DCE/DFS cell. That currently has about 50,000
accounts with 1.3TB of data.

We are not sure if the new AFS cell will hold quite as many users, but
the lower working number is 10,000 accounts with about 40TB of space.

I'm concerned about backups solutions. If we assume an 8 hour backup
window, our estimated backup rate has to be about 57GB/min.  We can look
at some things like dividing our space into 7 backup blocks and spread
the full backups throughout the week interleaving the incrementals for
the other blocks. But we still get a rate of about 16GB/min. This is
also the floor estimate. The ceiling estimates climb to about 241GB/min.

Does anyone have any advice for backup solutions for this much AFS data?

Any other general advice or thoughts would be appriciated as well.

Thanks.

-KAS

--
Kurt A. Seiffert                | Distributed Storage Services Group
Indiana University, Bloomington | 855-5089