[OpenAFS] can't get volumes online

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:27:54 -0500

On Sunday, February 20, 2005 01:08:12 PM +0100 Stephan Wiesand
<Stephan.Wiesand@desy.de> wrote:

> Yours won't run on my test system, but I grabbed the one from a recent
> 1.3.78 build (anyway, most of these volumes are larger than 2GB):

Hrm.  If you mean the binaries in the LINUX directory won't run, that's not
too surprising; I keep those around for my own use.  If you had problems
building it, I'd like to hear about them, off-list.

It should be noted that the dumpscan in the openafs distribution is old and
has been hacked up somewhat to do what the teest framework needs.  The one
I pointed to is the most recent version.  Both versions should be able to
deal with dumps of any size.

>   Blessed?     false

This is the key part.  This bit indicates whether the volume is allowed to
be in service.  It indicates policy, not validity, and so the fileserver
and salvager never change it.  Normally it is set as part of the volume
creation process, and never changed after that.

Recent openafs versions should include a vol-bless utility which is built
in the src/vol directory but does not get installed.  You can use this
utility on the fileserver to change a volume's blessed bit.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer