[OpenAFS] releasing volumes automatically

Turbo Fredriksson turbo@bayour.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:44:11 +0100

    Marco> Is there any possibility to tell OpenAFS to release certain
    Marco> (or all) changed volumes at a certain time? Would be a
    Marco> great help.

    >>  I'm running the http://www.bayour.com/scripts/update_afs.sh
    >> script from cron every 12 hours...

    Troy> What are some of the "bad ideas" about having replicated
    Troy> user volumes?  (besides taking up more space and mountpoint
    Troy> issues).

Don't know (remember :) about "bad ideas" (I remember that I was
discouraged to do it when I started, but I can't remember why :), but
an annoying thing is that every time you release, the volume being
replicated 'locks up' and with that ALL jobs that have a lock (chdir
or whatever) halts while the replication takes place... VERY annyoing,
that's why I only do it twice a day, and only the volumes that MUST
be replicated (i.e. the ones that have changed).

This means that every time my home directory volume is replicated,
ALL (!!) my jobs is suspended, I can't login and basically EVERYTHING
I do/want to do is halted/suspended. I can't even send a mail (because
my mailclient is started from a shell that have my homedirectory as
CWD - current work directory).

I have somewhat managed to limit the problem by having a whole bunch
of volumes, so my actuall homedirectory is small and very seldom updated.
Although that was only theory - my .bash_history IS updated every time
I do something which means that the volume have been changed and must
be replicated.... :(