[OpenAFS] SuSE 9.2: anyone?

John Koyle jkoyle@rfpdepot.com
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:32:08 -0700

Sergio Gelato wrote:

>* Sensei [2004-12-23 16:54:08 +0100]:
>

>>Has anyone got AFS working on suse 9.2 using their afs client? I had to
>>fix a script (it searched for kernel module libafs, actually the one
>>shipped with suse is called kafs) but anyway, afsd isn't starting:
>>

>Is kafs the OpenAFS implementation or something else?
>
>What kernel version is 9.2 using? With Linux 2.6, you'll want the latest
>OpenAFS 1.3.x (currently 1.3.77). Note that Linux 2.6 has an in-kernel
>AFS client (contributed by Red Hat?) which is said to be very far from
>feature-complete; make sure you aren't trying to use that.

SuSE 9.2 ships with a v1.2.11 AFS client if you use their nongpl tagged
kernel.  I'm fairly certain this is what he's using.  I've recently
begun testing SuSE 9.2 and so far, in very imited testing, haven't had
any problems.

Here's a note from the /usr/share/packages/openafs/README.SuSE file:

IMPORTANT: Unfortunately, openafs client for linux kernel 2.6 has not
reached
stable state yet. There may be problems.

I'm not sure what method they've used to enable support under 2.6, or
how stable it will be in a production environment at this point.  See
Hartmut's message regarding caching issues.

Can anyone comment on the stability of the client that SuSE ships?

John