[OpenAFS] Newbie problems ... please help

Tomas Florian tomas@florien.ca
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:41:03 -0700

Hello,

Do I need fully qualified domain names and a propertly setup DNS for OpenAFS
to work?  Or am I doing something else wrong?

Background:

I have installed OpenAFS 1.3.77 on my Windows XP hoping to get a
server+client working on one machine.  I have created a /vicepc partition as
well as root.afs and root.cell volumes.  But when I open my AFS Server
Manager I get an error in my volumes saying:

A VLDB entry exists for volume root.cell, but the volume was not found on
partition /vicepc of server tomas.

(same for root.afs)

I looked into my logs and the logs say that the volumes have to be salvaged.
However whenever I try to do a salvage it sais that network connection timed
out.  First I thought that I have a problem with the DNS resolution because
if I do a DNS lookup on tomas from my machine it definitely doesn't to the
IP address it is supposed to.  So I turned of DNS resolution in the registry
of AFS but that didn't help either.  I'm out of ideas.  The strange thing is
that I have the client software on this machine and it maps just fine except
that the mapped drive is read only.

This is what I have in my CellServDB file for the server:

>mytest	#Cell name
192.168.10.250    #tomas

I'm kind of suspecting that I have to use fully defined domain names and
have proper DNS entries for all this to click into place.  But I was hoping
to get away with a simple setup like this (tomas is just the hostname of my
winxp machine)

Thanks for any tips!

Tomas