[OpenAFS] Disk cache not updating

Brian Huntley bhuntley@clarkson.edu
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:03:53 -0500

--=_alternative 005833BF85256F85_=

Thanks for your reply... I have UDP 1024-2048 and 7000-7009 open... did I
miss any?

-b
--
Brian T. Huntley, Manager of Network Operations
Office of Information Technology

Robert Banz <banz@umbc.edu>
01/10/2005 10:49 AM

Brian Huntley <bhuntley@clarkson.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [OpenAFS] Disk cache not updating

Brian Huntley wrote:

> Hello everyone...
>
> I can't seem to find anything on this particular type of cache problem,
> so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> We recently put into production a webserver whose document root is in
> AFS.  During the development of this system, we never had an issue with
> the AFS client keeping it's cache current with what was on the server.
>  Since it's been put into production, however, we are finding that we
> frequently must use fs flushvol to keep the cache up to date with the
> AFS server's version of volumes.  It seems that the volumes most heavily

> hit by apache are the ones that most often need a flush to stay current.
>
> I can only hypothesize that this is therefore a transaction/load related

> issue.  The webserver itself is virtually idle, but serves tens of
> thousands of requests per day.
>
> We're running RedHat Enterprise 3, Update 3 and the latest OpenAFS rpm
> available for it.
>
> Any thoughts?

Are you running any firewalling on that machine?

You could inadvertently be blocking callbacks from the fileserver that
apprise the local cache manager of changes in those files/volume.

-rob

--=_alternative 005833BF85256F85_=

1024-2048 and 7000-7009 open... did I miss any?</font>
Brian T. Huntley, Manager of Network Operations<br>
Office of Information Technology<br>
Clarkson University<br>
bhuntley@clarkson.edu -- 315.268.6723<br>
&quot;UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends
are.&quot;<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hello everyone...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I can't seem to find anything on this particular type of cache problem,
&gt; so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; We recently put into production a webserver whose document root is
in <br>
&gt; AFS. &nbsp;During the development of this system, we never had an
issue with <br>
&gt; the AFS client keeping it's cache current with what was on the server.
&gt; &nbsp;Since it's been put into production, however, we are finding
that we <br>
&gt; frequently must use fs flushvol to keep the cache up to date with
the <br>
&gt; AFS server's version of volumes. &nbsp;It seems that the volumes most
heavily <br>
&gt; hit by apache are the ones that most often need a flush to stay current.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I can only hypothesize that this is therefore a transaction/load related
&gt; issue. &nbsp;The webserver itself is virtually idle, but serves tens
of <br>
&gt; thousands of requests per day.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; We're running RedHat Enterprise 3, Update 3 and the latest OpenAFS
rpm <br>
&gt; available for it.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any thoughts?<br>
Are you running any firewalling on that machine?<br>
You could inadvertently be blocking callbacks from the fileserver that
apprise the local cache manager of changes in those files/volume.<br>
-rob<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 005833BF85256F85_=--