[OpenAFS] Evaluating OpenAFS: Questions

Kris Van Hees aedil-afs@alchar.org
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:41:09 -0500

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:03:09PM +0100, Sven Oehme wrote:
> > You do not want to use an intermediary server with Samba as a go
> > between.
>
> why ?
> if the Samba Server understand's afs, this is something you want, because
> you don't have to maintain a AFS client on each System  ...

Actually, yes and no.  Samba can be taught to understand most of the AFS
semantics with some work, and additional patches on top of the existing code
base, but I still haven't seen anyone do a full mapping.  You also have to
deal with a few more headaches on the Samba server machine since that becomes
a kind of proxy AFS client, serving the needs of a larger number of systems.
If those needs are somewhat in contention with one another you might get to
deal with interesting performance issues.

	Kris