[OpenAFS] Evaluating OpenAFS: Questions

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:44:05 -0700

I'm intrigued by the thread on using samba as an AFS gateway. I
understand the various reasons from wanting to

1) put most configuration and control into a server
2) add file locking semantics to afs through samba
3) avoiding a total rollout of afs clients to all users
various others...

I recall there used to be a product called "Syntax"? that was an smb
to afs gateway. Anyone know what might have happened to them?

The thing that would worry me is complexity. It seems that it means
putting too much complexity at central points of failure.

Seems the development efforts should be place in

1) creating a centrally manageable afs client (there are various tools
like sms)
2) adding smb-like file locking semantics to afs
3) ntfs like file level acl's

My experience with the AFS code on windows has been good. The recent
development efforts have been astounding. Many thanks to the openafs
developers for the improvements to the windows client.

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257