[OpenAFS] Evaluating OpenAFS: Questions

Rolandas Naujikas rolnas@takas.lt
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:01:43 +0200

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Rolandas Naujikas wrote:
>
>> We are using samba gateway to afs from Windows (2003) Terminal Server,
>> because OpenAFS client is not stable on them (lost or hung access to
>> AFS).
>>
>> Rolandas Naujikas
>

> What version and did you file a bug report?
>
> Please define what lost or hung access means?
>
> OpenAFS for Windows 1.3.77 is compatible with Terminal Server.
> There have been bugs found in the AFS Client with regards to callbacks
> not being renewed due to deadlocks.  As they are found, they are fixed.
> If you never report the bug, I can't fix the bug.
>
> I am aware of one deadlock situation in the current client which will
> be fixed in 1.3.78.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

We have been used OpenAFS 1.3.77 on Windows Terminal Server 2003, and
it's working stable, when there works only one. But when many (~20)
students with homes on AFS are trying use this server, then sometimes
(randomly) access to AFS stops (early versions with hung on each access
to files, now with access denied).

I'm interested in debug this, but I'm limited in time. I can send (post)
debug output from afsd*.log, but it is not easy reproduce.

Currently we are using samba (3.0) server (only for this server) with
some tweaks on my FreeBSD workstation as gateway throw arla client and
it's working more stable.

Rolandas Naujikas

P.S. Sorry for not be able support the efforts to improve code, but I
have too much work.