[OpenAFS] Evaluating OpenAFS: Questions

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:51:13 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Rolandas Naujikas wrote:
>
>> P.S. Sorry for not be able support the efforts to improve code, but I
>> have too much work.
>

> I'm not sympathetic.  We all have too much work.  If you are going to
> rely on an open source technology and its community to provide services
> to your end users, then you should find the time to help.  This is
> my personal opinion and I know there are others here that disagree with
> me.

At the risk of sounding waffle-ish in what amounts to a "me too" post
(and knowing full well I have not contributed code to OpenAFS in a long
time), let me just chime in here and say... You're both right!

We all have too much work to do. Not taking the time to report bugs
insures that all of us will spend more time dealing with the
consequences of old bugs rather than moving on to more interesting
problems. In other words, you have too much work to justify _not_
supporting efforts to improve code -- i.e. reporting bugs with the tools
provided.

Um, yeah. Me too.
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /       A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.      /