[OpenAFS] Swapping AFS DB servers on the same IP names/numbers

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:11:17 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, January 14, 2005 10:26 pm, Steve Roseman said:
> Bill Hays wrote:
>> We have three older afs db servers running on suns and are migrating to
>> three new servers running redhat linux. What we'd like to know is
>> whether
>> we can take down the old servers, and renumber and rename the new
>> servers
>> to match the three old servers so that we do not have to touch the
>> CellServDB entries in all of the clients.

We dont run multiple db servers however I have replaced the db server in
our cell a couple of times and its just a matter of moving over the ./db
files, shutting down, renaming, etc and starting back up. I got caught up
on some firewall rules for a bit but other that that it was ok. I did not
need to shutdown any of the afs fileservers.
/sd

> 	I recently did that, replacing 3 AIX Transarc AFS systems with 3 Linux
> 1.2.11 systems, one at a time (maybe a week or more apart.)  The trick
> was to make sure all of the volumes were moved off each server before
> shutting down AFS.  I then switched IP addresses, and brought up the AFS
> services on the "new" system.
>
> 	It's not quite that trivial, but not too difficult. It just takes care.
>
> 	You do need to make sure your "upserver" and "upclient" configs are
> right so you don't accidentally update binaries with the wrong
> architecture...  (Gee, AIX doesn't run Linux binaries!)
>
> Steve

Steve Devine
Storage Systems
Academic Computing & Network Services
Michigan State University

301 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra