[OpenAFS] network timeouts

Stefaan stefaandr@hotmail.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:49:16 +0100 (CET)

Some more information and added weirdness:

am doing
cp -a blah/picture.jpg /afs/...
This works without problems, except for DCP_2375.JPG.  I tried to copy
other files to the same volume, without any problems.  Copying this 1 file
locally to /tmp (also using cp -a), and afterwards to afs does also
trigger the problem however.  As does copying the file to a different volume
on the same server (I only have one server currently).

The error is:
cp: cannot create regular file
`/afs/stefaan.ulyssis.org/homes/sderoeck/DCP_2375.JPG': Connection timed out
or:
cp: closing `/afs/stefaan.ulyssis.org/homes/sderoeck/DCP_2375.JPG':
Connection timed out

The file is copied though (looking at file size and network traffic), but
when cp tries to set the permissions and owner, that takes a long time and
then fails afterwards.  The client then somehow decides the server isn't
reachable, though I have never gotten anything else than "All servers are
running." out of fs checkservers, and I've tried.

I'm running kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-r13 with openafs 1.3.77.   (Oh, and I
tried cp without -a once, same effect)

I'm running out of ideas.  Haven't tried a reboot yet, because that's not
a very appropriate problem-solving approach.  I will normally shut down
the machine this evening though, to be able to sleep in the same room...
Unless there's something I should try in the meanwhile.

I'm puzzled, how can a picture of seals upset afs? :)

Thanks for any help,
Stefaan