[OpenAFS] naive questions about openafs

Guillaume Rousse rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:24:43 +0100

Matthew Miller wrote:
>>I had a look at the rpm available from openafs website. However it seems
>>to be uncompatible with kernel 2.6, so I'd have to package devel version
>>instead, and it would be a lot of work anyway to adapt it to official
>>mdk packaging policy.
>

> Look at my package at <http://www.mattdm.org/misc/openafs/>. I'll be
> updating this to work with 2.6.10 later today. You still may have to adapt
> it to work with Mandrake, but it should be easier than with the official
> one.
Thanks, it was lot easier.

However, my biggest concern is the kernel module. I don't want to build
as part of the openafs package, because it is not scalable. Mandrake
policy for any kernel module is either to include it in the kernel
package, or to make it a dkms package. Basically, a dkms package is just
a module source ready to build, that is build at installation time, thus
fitting the running kernel on the installation target, and everytime it
the target kernel is rebuild also. So I'm actually tring to do it, but I
  have troubles with openafs build system.

Basically, the 'libafs' target create two target directories
(MODLOAD-2.6.10-1mdkcustom-MP and MODLOAD-2.6.10-1mdkcustom-SMP), then
chdir there and do the following tasks:
1) link every needed source
2) create dedicated Makefile
3) run it
What I want to do is just tasks 1 and 2, without 3. This way, I could
just ship the target directory, with any convenient includes files). But
I get lost in multiple inclusions and implicit targets.

Alternatively, I could manually install every file needed  in the spec
file, but I highly doubt it would be maintaainable in the future.

I also tried the libafs_tree, and found a minor bug: the
configure_libafs must be renamed to configure, otherwise the first
configure test (ls -t) will fail. Anyway, it doesn't solve my problem,
as the configure doesn't generate the final Makefile for creating the
module, only a primary Makefile in src/libafs that will create AND
execute in the same run final makefile for two hardcoded target modules.

Any help welcome there. BTW, dkms is absolutly not mdk specific, and
helps a lot to distribute kernel packages, so I really think this
deserve upstream support in build process.
--
All components become obsolete.
	-- Murphy's Computer Laws n°8