[OpenAFS] naive questions about openafs

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:49:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 06:07:42PM +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, I could be wrong, but I don't really see kernel-tree-specific options
>>> in the generated makefile, apart build directory pathes that could get
>>> easily made relatives. I tested against two different 2.6
>>

>> The potential for differences exists as the kernel can change significantly
>> between minor releases.
> The point is: how would it change, otherwise as inside the source code ?
>
> If I ship a directory containing the following:
> - the attached generated Makefile
> - all .c files corresponding to the .o files inside
> - the generated AFS_component_version_number.c file
> - all referenced .h files
>
> Would it be enough for building against any 2.6 kernel tree ?

Enough, but it wouldn't work. You need to reconfigure the
autoconf-provided header (afsconfig.h) and the system-specific Makefile
(Makefile.config) when you change kernel versions. So you must provide a
wrapper makefile which runs configure again, if you insist that all that
be run by a user or script is make.